Wednesday, September 1, 2010

The Mind is Weak but the Flesh is Willing

   It's blazing hot here right now.  And I mean like, Africa-hotness.  And the humidity.  Wave a spoon outside and it would probably fill up with water.  Perfect day for a workout up in the inner city.  If you're a little nutty...and wanting to get away from your three rambunctious children.   Put a check mark next to both of those boxes for me today.  

I hop in my car and think to myself...sweet freedom.  I am out of the house - no kids in tow.  And then I realize what I've done.  I am driving into the city in 90 degree heat to subject myself to an unforgiving physical grind.  I am actually perspiring sitting in my car driving.  Sitting still in my seat.  Not really moving a muscle.   Hmmm.  I could divert and go get a pedicure. Toes really need a touch up.  Nah.  I'm going. 

As I get nearer and nearer to the gym, it's getting hotter.  Like I am driving toward the surface of the Sun. 

I arrive for my 5:30 class met by Coach G.  He's a riot...and a good motivator.  He's just wrapping up the 4:30 class.  Coaching them through the last moments of today's paces.  Everyone is moving in s - l - o - w motion.  I had already checked out the Workout of the Day before coming.  Brutal.  But I was not expecting it to be quite like this. Hmm. Good thing I have my nut-job disposition on my side and I didn't really get that nervous. 

Class starts.  The warm-up is actually a good going-over in its own right.  Quarter-mile run. Some weight lifting.  Jump rope. (Not the fun, double-dutch variety)  THEN - the real stuff.  As many rounds as possible or AMRAP in 15 minutes.  Three things in each round.  As fast as you can. 5 pull-ups, 10 burpees (deadly push-up, jumping jack combo) and 15 squats. 

Did I mention the surface of the sun?  Did I mention that this is an open-air gym sans air conditioning?  I love the basic nature of this gym. No mirrors.  No fancy pants locker room. No A.C.  Just the equipment. And some large spinning fans. Blowing hot air. Today I wished for a schmidge of the fancy AC.

I was going and going. And then -   I got to the point where I really was just spent. 11 minutes into the workout.  I was lying on my stomach, chest to the ground, drenched and really just trying to catch a breath.  I was so freakin' hot.  And tired.  And it was hot.  Too hot to be doing this workout. I thought, I cannot do this anymore.

Just then - Coach G.  called my name. Oh - the shame.  He knows my name. "Steph - get UP! Keep it moving.  Your mind is telling you right now that you can't do this, but I am telling you.  You are STRONG. Dig deep. Your body is built to do this.  Trust your body."  And he was right.  My mind was telling me that I could not do this thing. This test of my physical strength.

I closed my eyes, took a deep breath and told my body to move.  And then it did.  And it kept moving.  Until the final second ticked off the 15 minute timer. 

I did it. 

I am not claiming to be some superstar.  Or an uber-athlete.  Far from that.  But I am strong-minded. And I am finding that this whole challenge is strengthening my mind...and my body.

I can come up with logical excuses why something can't happen...too little time, too many commitments, the weather is not ideal, I am too tired. Really.  Pick one. They are all solid, valid excuses.

The coach of last night's class had a shirt on that I really liked.  It said,

"You can make great excuses or get great results. But you can't have both."

So true.

Tonight. Results won.  And I guess, so did I.

No comments:

Post a Comment