Friday, August 6, 2010

Lessons in Humility at CrossFit Providence

Lessons in Humility.  I have a lot of lessons in humility in my daily living.  And I mean lessons in humility in a good way.

Some folks hear the word, "humility" and immediately think of the feeling they had when someone opened up the door to the restroom they were using. The whole..."Sorry, one minute. I'm almost finished" situation. That feeling would be embarrassment.  I obsessively check all bathroom locks, by the way.

When I think of humility, I think of my overall realization that I have huge room for improvement. Recently, I stood at the top of my stairs, monitoring two screaming sons "resting" in their rooms, feeling like I was spiraling into Dante's Inferno, I felt humility.  (Did it really all escalate over a ruined paper airplane?).  I could definitely be a better parent.

I never really felt humility during a workout.  Frustration? Yes.  Exhaustion? Absolutely. Embarrassment? Yup

That all changed this past week.  This week was my first "real" week of workouts at CrossFit Providence. I really didn't know what to expect.  I mean, I knew it would be intense. The introductory classes were challenging the week before (remember the whole nausea thing?). 

So.  After my first class with Coach G. guiding me through a grueling workout of Burpee Clean and Jerks, box jumps and chest - to - bar pull-ups I was completely spent.  I leaned over to stretch and he asked me, "How do you feel?" And I immediately replied breathlessly, "humiliated".  I did.  I feel like I have so much to learn about technique and just about figuring out what the workout words mean.  A Burpee Clean and Jerk has not been part of my vocabulary in the last 38 years. 

And let me tell you...I went to Coach G.'s class two more times this week.  This guy is so positive, motivating and PATIENT.  He must have put me into the rubber bands at the pull-up bars a dozen times and never rolled his eyes or made me feel like a pain in the a**.  (Basically, I need to be in large rubber bands around my feet to even get me up to the bar at this point). I watched as everyone moved through the movements, seemingly knowing what they were doing.

But I feel bad.  Because I really think that Coach G thinks that I meant that I was embarrassed. But I wasn't embarrassed.  I should have said "humbled".  It is humbling to realize that I have some lofty goals ahead of me. Humbling to know that I am the beginner.  It motivates me.

My son used to have a snack or a juice bag that had clever little quotes on them.  I have been thinking of this one quote all week, but have not been able to find where exactly I've seen it. Please let me know if you find it.

It was something like this though...

"Even the mighty oak was once just an acorn."

A nut just like me...

No comments:

Post a Comment