Thursday, August 5, 2010

The opposite of "shape-up"...

So the last couple of days, I have been trying to think of a reason why this blog, my personal fitness journey, is of any significant consequence to anyone but myself.  Because if it really doesn't benefit anyone but me, I could very easily just keep a running journal of my ramblings.

I tried to think about what got me here.  Why did I suddenly feel the need to "shape-up"?  Well.  I am the opposite of shaped-up. But what is that exactly?  The opposite of UP is DOWN.  That's not it. (Although gravity has not been kind in some regards, but I think that's another post on my feelings on cosmetic surgery). I think I have shaped OUT.  Way out.  Three times exactly. 

I know that I mentioned in passing that I have three children.  They're all under the age of six.  It's not like I'm wearing it like a badge of honor.  Lots of people have three children of very young ages.  My particular claim to fame is that I gained over 50 pounds with each pregnancy.  I am not a small woman - I go just over 5'8" - so fifty pounds is a lot of weight but not completely unmanageable.  Amazingly, I managed to lose most of the weight each time.  Unfortunately, after the third time, the remaining weight that hung around each time racked up to be over 20 pounds.  And now I'm getting to the shaped out part...my body just looks different.

My stomach is soft and a tad bit protruding in the center.  My thighs curve out, and then in and then out again.  I am pretty sure there is one more curve than necessary there.  My arms can lift two small children at a moment's notice and carry them quite a distance.  But there again, my upper arms are padded in matronly goodness. 

I cannot say that I am fat.  I am overweight.  Shaped-out.  And quite the opposite of this challenge, whose goal is to be  shaped - up.

Circling back.  Why does this matter to anyone but me?  Because I really think hearing about my struggle to get back in shape may inspire someone to do the same.  Not some moment from the movie, "Rocky", where masses of citizens run up the steps of the State House.  I mean, just a small personal change for better physical and mental wellness.

Food for thought . . .

A DEFINITION FROM FREEDICTIONARY.COM 
Phrasal Verb:



shape up


1. Informal To turn out; develop.


2. To improve so as to meet a standard: Either shape up or ship out.



I am choosing my standard.  I want to feel better about myself...just be healthier. 

Shape up or Ship out?

I am not getting on any ship.

No comments:

Post a Comment