Tuesday, August 10, 2010

The Scales of Justice

One of my favorite images.  The Scales of Justice.  There are many renditions.  My favorite depiction is of a  blind-folded, Rubenesque woman laden in sensuous robes holding scales of justice out before her.  Lady Justice.  Iconic.

 It really is an image that speaks a thousand words. That the scales tip impartially, blind to any favor or prejudice.  Beautiful, isn't it?

Not so tonight, friends.  The Scales were downright cruel.  And I shouldn't place sweeping blame on all scales.  It was just the one up at CrossFit. 

Coach Mike: "Hey, Stephanie. Mind if I get your weight? For a whole, before and after thing."  Me: "Yeah, no problem. I already know what I weigh.  I weigh XXX."
Coach Mike: "Good. It'll be super quick."

  Here's the whole image playing out in my mind as I step on the scale.  The daydream goes something like this...As he fiddles with sliding the weights back and forth and settles on a final spot,Coach Mike proclaims,"Wow.  You must be mistaken because you are so much lighter than that according to this scale."  I coyly admit that I suspected it might have dropped. That I knew the hard work and commitment was going to show up on the scale.  Albeit much quicker than I expected.  He'd give me a pat on the back and tell me to keep on truckin'. 

That was the daydream.  The reality is that I only dropped a measly half pound!  After working my tail off for the last two weeks, four times a week.  Ok...Ok. Healthy weight loss does occur slowly.  I still have faith in The Scales. 

Until. . .

My dad's turn to weigh in.  Remember he's doing this challenge with me along with my husband, Ray. He gets up there..."Gosh.  I really need to lose some weight. I'm up to XXX." Mike fiddles with the sliding thingies.  Coach: "Wow, Mike. You've actually dropped six pounds. Keep up the good work!"  Pat,pat on the shoulder.

Wait.  WAIT! That was my moment!  That was my atta-boy...my pat on the back.  Son of a . . .

The scales are cruel, I muttered to myself.  And for a moment I was deeply disappointed...until I realized how proud I was of my dad.  And that completely overshadowed my fleeting personal disappointment.  How great it is that his hard work is paying off in spades. 

It's not a number on the scale.  I know that.  But we all become fixated on that all important magic number.  I vow not to get that way.  I vow not to curse Lady Justice again.

As long as she takes off that silly blindfold to make sure she knows to tip her fancy scales my way.
 Next time.


And this just in - Ray apparently lost weight, too.  Good for you, honey.  Good for you. I will not get fixated, I will not get fixated...

Sensing my irritation (and hearing a few whispered choice nuggets) Drum roll...his save attempt ensues (guys, you appreciate this one.  you fellas try.  you really do): "Well, I wish I weighed heavier like you."   Me: "What???!".  Him: "So I would have more lost at the end."  Nice play, as Nick would say.  Nice play.

1 comment:

  1. Hahahahahahahaha. I'm sorry, but Ray's line. They DO try, don't they?

    ReplyDelete